Having low carb snacks to hand when you simply can’t wait for your next meal is vital if you’re going to stick to your weight loss program – so what snacks should you choose?
Ideally, you should include some protein, some fiber and a little unsaturated fat. Vary the fat content depending on whether you’re on a low fat plan or a higher fat diet like the Atkins.
Low carb doesn’t mean no carb, so some complex carbohydrate would be OK, too.
You should aim to eat 5-6 times a day whether trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight – one of our golden rules for successful weight loss!
That’s three main meals and 2-3 healthy snacks a day.
The main component of low carb snacks should be some protein, and all the snack ideas, whilst not necessarily being high in protein are based around a protein source.
Low Carb Snakes – Weight Loss for Busy people
Check out our article on high protein snacks for some high protein snack ideas, not all of which are necessarily low carb.
Your snacks should be quick and easy to prepare as well as being portable, so you can take them to work, shopping, the gym for when you get that mid-morning or afternoon craving!
So, here are a few tasty and nutritious snack ideas for you to try!
- Sugar free or natural yoghurt with a few berries stirred in
- Cottage or Ricotta cheese with some chopped herbs, veggies or nuts and seeds stirred in. Dill, chives, peppers, peanuts and flax seeds work well
- Tinned tuna, mixed with some low fat mayo and chopped veggies and served with green salad leaves
- Sandwich meat wrapped around some chopped veggies in low fat mayo
- Lettuce leaves around around low fat egg mayonnaise, tuna mayo, prawns in thousand island dressing or cottage cheese. The filling needs to be moist so it stays in the wrap
- Celery stick or any veggie stick with peanut butter, houmous, guacamole or cottage cheese
So there are a few snack ideas to get you started that will only take minutes to prepare.
Jazz them up a bit with herbs and spices like chilli powder for some added zing, particularly in dressings.
Always have your snacks to hand and when out and about use a lunch box or sandwich bag to carry them in.
Losing weight does not mean going for long periods without food and feeling hungry.
These low carb snacks are filling, satisfying and will keep you going between meals so enjoy!